Saturday, May 26, 2012

Happiness is a mood not a destination

I think that a lot of times people associate happiness and that feeling of success with a destination. "If only I had a better job, then I'd be happy" or "If only I was richer, funnier, smarter, more successful, was married".  The list goes on and on.  I see one fatal flaw with this idea.  I think it's very backwards to think that you can only be happy at certain points in time.  Why can't we be happy throughout our lives? Through the good and the bad, there are always ways to feel happy and things that we should be feeling happy about.  For starters, let's talk about the very fact that we are living in this country.  This very fact that most people take for granted is something to be happy about.  I think if we took the time each day to really reflect on how truly amazing our lives are and find that silver lining, wherever that might be, we really would be more happy.  I know this is sounding cheesy and cliché, but I know it's true.  I think it's time we stopped feeling sorry for ourselves and realized that happiness is a mood and not a destination.  


No comments:

Post a Comment